are spending over a half-billion dollars each year to get across to children
about buying expensive toys and eating unhealthy foods.(Peggy Charren of ACT).
year the average viewer sees 18,000 commercials. In a typical American household
a TV set is on for 7 hours and 2 minutes a day.
* By the time a young person finishes high school, she will have spent more time watching television (15,000 hrs. or more) than sitting in a classroom (11,000 hrs.).
* By the time children enter kindergarten, they will have seen 75,000 30-second television commercials.
* 250,000 Americans wrote to Marcus Welby, M.D. a few years ago asking for medical advice.
* A Detroit paper offered $500 to 120 families within their readership if they'd turn off their sets for a month. 93 families turned the offer down
show classic withdrawal symptoms normally associated with drugs
when their families agree to kick the TV habit. (Wilkins).
* Children now think in 7 minute time frames because that's the amount of time it takes between commercials.
* By the
age of 14, a devoted viewer will have witnessed 11,000 TV murders
and will digest 350,000 commercials.
* Asked which they would keep if forced to choose between their fathers and their television sets, more than half the youngsters in a study chose television.
studies have repeatedly shown that people of all ages are losing their ability
to distinguish fantasy from reality. When questioned, they frequently find
the televised image a more satisfactory experience.
Albq,. NM 87103
grants membership to anyone who does not have a working TV set in their home.
There are no dues or meetings.